Sunday, March 2, 2008

PLN 1

In the article The distributed university by Will Richardson talks about how kids dont even need to go to college anymore because they can just go online and take classes for free. This is much cheaper that actually going to college. Paying for the books, the dorm room, and the actualy college adds up quickly so thats why people think that these courses will make eduaction more excessable.

What matters:
The internet seems to be taking over the world. It has changed education so much but never did I imagine it would replace college all together. There are some people who only see the money issue and when they hear about the internet providing a free college course they think it is great. But in my opinion there is nothing that can replace college. The whole experience is an important aspect to growing up. College is the real test to whether you know right from wrong. It also teaches you about time management and money managment. Most college kids have to get a job in order to have enough money for their survival. This gives them a little taste of the real world. College is also the first time you get to live out on your own. That is the most important because this teaches you how to take care of yourself. Most people in college find lifelong friends or their future spouse.
What matters to me:
When it is my time to go to college I know it will be very expensive for my parents since they have to pay for me and my 2 other triplet sisters at the same time. I sometimes feel bad that they have to pay so much for my education. But when I think about how amazing college will be I realize that it is all worth it. That is why my parents are happy to pay. They want me to have to a real college experience. They want me to discover myself, to establish who I really am to the world. That is why I dont want college to be taken over the computer. Sure my parents will be saving money, but they will be robbing me of the best 4 years of my life.

No comments: