Tuesday, October 2, 2007

PLN entry # 7

Today i decided to read My Flickr Conundrum by Will Richardson. After hearing my classmates talk about it on thier PLN presentaions it sounded like an interesting article.. I wanted to say my opinion on the subject. It is talking about how Will Richardson feels like he doesn't have to take pictures when he can just get them off the internet.



What matters: This century seems to be based only on technology. I mean there are are alot of things that im not sure I would be able to live without that have to do with technology. The internet is one of those things. It is a very powerful tool. But Will Richardson is right. There are so many picture on the internet that are taken of the same place and probably look better. But when I think about it that, it makes me upset. It makes me wonder what this world is turnng into. Now people dont even have to go on trip to see the world. All they have to do is look it up on the internet. I become upset by this because there are so many beautiful and amazing places on this earth that deserve to be visited at least once in your lifetime. We have google earth also where we can just type in the place you want to look at and then you can look at it in 3-D and feel almost as if you are actually there. As cool as this seems it makes me sad to know that there are some people who will never go to Washington D.C, to see the David, to see the Eiffel Tower, ect.

How it matters to me: The are so many things that i could get off the internet than actually doing it. Like meeting new people with actually meeting them, i could get pictures off the internet and say that i took them myself when i didn't, and i could copy other peoples work and call it my own. There are so many opportunities on the internet for me but i don't want to live without actually liveing. I love taking pictures when i go places and if i get them off the internet then it doesnt feel like its my memory. It feels like im showing someone elses memory. Which feels like stealing or plagurizing to me. I don't take very good pictures but my mom does. I mean that is what she does for a living. She is a photographer and it would be a huge insult to her if someone took a picture off the internet that she had taken and then called it their own.

How it matters to the world: The world is full of technology and the internet is a huge part of it. Nearly every country in the world uses technology. I wish that people would realize that stealing pictures off the internet isn't what makes the picture special. Most of the time pictures taken by people who aren't professional photographers are not very good. But what makes the picture so special is the fact that you took it yourself. That you went there yourself and saw the very thing that is in the photo. When its taken off the internet it isn't special anymore and ruins the effect.

No comments: