Thursday, September 27, 2007

PLN entry # 6

Today I chose to read Is Payment For Good Grades Legimate Motivation in this Day and Age? It talks about how they don't think that parents should have to bribe kids to do well in school with money. On the show Colbert Report it had an agrument about this. Joel Klien thinks that kids aren't pushed hard enough today and that they should not have to be paid to get good grades

What matters: In this article it argues about the conflict whether kids should be paid for good grades. In this day and age kids are different than when people actually wanted to learn and go to school. That was a few centuries ago and now kids are lazy and don't like going to school. They like the social part of it but the learning part... not so much. For some parents it feels like money is the only thing that can make their kids actually try. There are also alot more distractions for kids in this century. Our parents didn't have TVs, computers, the phone, ipods, ect. It seems a little harder these days to stay on task.

How it matters to me: Since I am a teenager I know how it is for kids to not want to work for their grades in school. I am torn on who to agree with. I agree that it doesn't seem right that kids have to be bribed with money to get good grades, but on the other hand. there are just some kids who are lazy and no matter what you tell them they will not do any of their work unless forced or bribed. I get $20 at the end of each semester for having A's and B's so I really have no room to talk, but the money isn't what makes me get good grades. Now that I am in high school I am realizing that college is in only a couple of years. In middle school I got good grades but slacked sometimes. I can't afford to do that now. Besides, education wasn't made to torture you, it was meant to educate you so that you could find a good job when you get older and have a good life.

How it matters to the world: As I have said in previous blogs, i think education is really important. There are so many homeless people who never got the proper education and are now liveing on the streets. A life no one wishes to live. But also I think that the kids of America are extremely spoiled and lazy. The kids in Europe work much harder than American children do. Now I wouldn't know this from experience but my mom lived in Italy for a couple of years when she was in high school and she says that the kids here don't work half as hard as the kids in Italy do. This had a huge effect on me because my family is extremely Italian. The kids of America need to step it up a notch and try actually getting good grades without being paid to.

2 comments:

annes said...

Angelica, you simply impress me so much with the quality of your response as well as the out of the box thinking. You keep doing the amazing job and keep pushing yourself. Well done my dear!

berekm said...

I agree with everything you said about 9/11 becuase I was in school during it and we had to go home becuase the smoke came over to Long Island which is right near the city. One of my best friends dads died in 9/11 and i kind of wish that people talked about it more and never forgot it