Tuesday, May 6, 2008

PLN 17

Dave,
I think this is a great post because it really expresses what everone is talking about in education. The new topic I've been noticing is that in the near future we are not going to need text books because text books will be replaced by online texts. I think that only thing holding us back is the fact that schools do not have enough money to buy all the students in their classes laptops.

This post talks about a new product found by Dave Warlick called iCue. Now this product is very close to replacing text because of all its features. It is for 13 year olds and up and it has "an assortment of searchable and organizable video clips from the NBC News Archives regarding the current and past campaigns." And from these video clips you can discussion, note-taking, personal tagging, video transcript, and background information, including description, source, and keywords. Also snagged card videos can be stored in your personal archives and you can share them with friends. Now this is supposed to have a format very similar to FaceBook. Only much safer. You can social network with this device only in a much much safer way.

I think that this is not going to replace text books entirly yet because as I said before, schools do not have enough money to get every student one. But also in my opinion, some things just can not replace the old. But you never know with this new and rapidly changing world. In todays world you have to say "out with the old, and in with the new" constantly. So who knows, 30 years from now my kids could be using an iCue and telling me I'm weird for having to use a heavy text book. But who knows.

Another Model for Textbooks of the Future? found in 2 cents worth by Dave Warlick.

No comments: