Sunday, April 6, 2008

PLN 8

When Laren presented on Friday I though the article by Associated Press titled Teacher OK'd beating of tardy student, police say. I thougt that this article was very important to discuss because this is a very serious matter. In my PLN today I'm going to be talking about my views on this matter.

What matters:
His name is Brian Havel. He is just 22 years old. He was an English teacher at Delta High School. Now he was not big on tardies, so whenever a student was tardy he would make them do a certain amount of sit ups or push ups in a certain amount of time. Now this may seem like just a joke to you, but this was not a joke for Mr. Havel. This was a serious matter and if you didn't do the push ups or sit ups in the time that he told you then he allowed his students to beat the student. The student that this happened to was around 15 or 16 years of age. But when he was told to do all this he refused. So then one of the students asked to beat the student for not doing the punishment and the teacher told him he could so 10 to 15 students participated in hitting the student. Thankfully the student wasn't injured. Its unknown if Mr. Havel still works at Delta high school.

What matters to me:
If this ever happened in our school I know that the teacher would be fired immediately and the student would be taken care of. But this case is a very hard one to argue because it all depends on whether the teacher and students were just kidding a took a joke just a little too far. Because I had a teacher like that year but he was only kidding. It doesn't seem like the students were hitting him very hard either because he has not injuries. I don't think that teacher made the right desicion by telling the students they could hurt their fellow class mate. Thar just seems sketchy to me and not right. I think that his punishment should be that he is fired from working at Delta high school but nothing more because it's not that big of a deal in the first place.

1 comment:

alenav said...
This comment has been removed by the author.